Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tempte-tation Fixie Century 2010 (Dulwich Hill BC)

100miles or 160km from Bundanoon to Tempe velodrome on a fixed gear bike was one of the hardest rides I have ever done.

The day before I rode with Tim from Marrickville to Bundanoon via Hume Hwy, 130km. Due to headwind, false flat, and no fixie experience, I struggled to keep up with Tim, which totally frustrated him. We had to be rescued 12km short of Bundanoon by Tim’s dad, to make it in time for the dinner. Apparently, we were only 5km behind Lindsay, and the three Michaels who started from Campbelltown well ahead of us.

The next morning, we had around 8:30am start? Riding fixie in a bunch was scary as well as fun. I kept up with the fast bunch on the flats, but struggled at grinding big gear on the uphills. The highlight was the 10km quite steep descend at Macquarie pass. On a fixie, not just had to spin those legs bloody fast on descends, but also had to press the brake levers so hard that it hurt on my palms. No matter how much they hurt, the only option was to suck it up. There was a whole queue of vehicles behind me, which meant I couldn’t slow down. I couldn’t release the brake levers as that would make me go downhill at uncontrollable speed. I found it quite dangerous, but a thrill for sure.

We had a few laps around a velodrome on our way, just before Wollongong. We had lunch at Wollongong where I took the bugs out of my hair. The climb at the Stainwell Tops on a fixie would make even the toughest sweat. I slowly grinded the big gear up that 2-3km long steep climb all the way to Helensburg. By Helensburg, I was out of water and getting severely dehydrated. The little stop at fish & chips shop at waterfall was heaven. I rode with the bunch to Tempe velodrome, where everyone did their finishing lap, and I did an extra run lap, just to call it a brick session.

Thanks to Simon for organising the ride and the accommodation. Ian for the funny spoke cards, Lindsay for lending me the Peugeot fixie, and all the riders for riding with me. It has been a unique and rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment