Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Big Beach Challenge 2010

"Epic!" That’s how I would describe it. It has to be the most scenic run I have ever done. The roaring pacific on the left and beautiful sand dunes on the right looked something out of this world. The view of waves cracking on the huge ship wreck was just mind blowing.

Schoey (white t-shirt in photos) is a top bloke from trannies. He allowed me to crash at his joint in Newcastle; force fed me the breaky, and gave me a lift to the start, which is 50km from Newcastle. Thanks to people like Schoey, the tranny brotherhood will be always alive. One our way to the Birubi beach, we saw the free range ch0oks by the side of the road. “Now that’s really free range!” Schoey said. The race registration went without hassle. It was a bit chilly in the morning so I didn’t take off my clothes until 5min to the start.


The first half: The race started on time. For the first half of the race, we ran on flat hard sand along the water line. The strong head winds sand blasted the athletes and the excitement of race made it feel like a war zone. It looked like a race in a desert storm, but thankfully, not as dry. I drafted behind three different athletes at different times and found it works, at least to shield off the sand blast. I was in the front pack from the beginning. While Schoey dropped behind in the beginning, he came back charging strong and overtook me around the 20km mark. He finished 10min ahead of me.

The second half: The first half gives a wrong impression of how hard is the second half. By 18-20km, I was feeling a bit of fatigue, but was strong enough to hammer another 12-14km on the similar terrain. Then the terrain changed. The sand became softer and steeper. The steps started to sink, the muscles started to fatigue and cramp. The running form was gone and we were just wrestling with the sand. After a lot of struggle, what I thought would be the 25km mark was surprisingly the 22km mark. That means I wasn’t running as fast I was thinking, and the race felt like getting longer and longer. The athletes who were running a great form a few km ago now looked crippled. Some of them struggling to even walk. I have huge respek for those who kept pushing from there on, and made it to the finish line. YoYo said “I have heard it’s harder than climbing Everest.” I would have to agree.

I could see the colourful flags at the finish line from about 3kms. It was relief to see that there is an end to this. I looked behind, and saw that no other athlete was close. Cooked, cramped, thirsty, hungry, tired, extremely satisfied with the sense of achievement, I breathlessly hammered my way to the finish line with whatever I had left. It was all over in 3h35, and I was the 11th athlete across the line. The sausage sandwiches after the finish were the best!

The organisers did an extraordinary job in setting up the aid stations on the beach. It is a very awkward task. I was impressed by their enthusiasm to run down the sand dunes to the athletes with cups of water and electrolyte drinks. Saves athletes from running up the sand dunes! However it gives too many expectations from the volunteers. The guy at the 28km aid station was sitting up a sand dune with the aid station table in front of him, and poured drinks as athletes come, otherwise chilling out in the sun enjoying watching pain on the faces of athletes. That aid station felt the hardest to reach. Then he said “You don’t look as bouncy as in the morning?” Funny guy iniit? Chambo (who was 2nd at the PM Ironman beer mile) made a top effort to ensure the athletes get water at the 5, 10 and 15km marks. Then he ran from the 5km mark to the finish. Great job by the organisers and the volunteers who helped the athletes so passionately. Awesome party environment at the finish.

There are many long distance running races held every year around Australia, but this race is mind blowing. I would highly recommend it to whoever enjoys a good running challenge, and the best way to race it is in budgy smugglers! If it is held again next weekend, you bet I will be there :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment