Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ironman Australia 2010 - Port Macquarie


I am writing this race report 11 weeks after racing Ironman. The primary purpose is to recall the ups and downs I experienced in the race, and prepare myself for the Ironman Regensburg in six weeks from now.

On the race day, I woke up at 2am and started feeding as per the feeding strategy advised by my mentor George Lowe. The feeding strategy was simple. Eat one gel one hour before the race, one gel half an hour before, and one gel just before the start. Then a gel every 20min on the bike, and a gel every 30 min on the run. I prepared a high concentration thick shake of protein powder and electrolyte, which was equivalent to 6-7 bottles of normal concentration, that I would sip and drink water afterwards.

At the start, I was relaxed it didn't feel any different than a normal training day, except for that I don't train with such a large group. My approach was to race it as a long training day, with primary goal to finish it, and secondary goal to enjoy it.

Although I had trained plenty, I was not sure how the body will respond to the race pace. It was the zone of uncertainty. I considered plenty of worst case scenarios, including that I may sweat out all the selenium (essential to keep the ticker thumping) in my body during such a long race – resulting in cardiac arrest, and made sure I take some supplements day before.

The waters were calm. There was a false start at the pro end. Probably triggered by some spectator blowing a pressure horn. The announcer announced “bring them back .... bring them back...” but the pros were already swimming hard with their head down in the water. It was too late to stop them. The cannon fired soon after that, and the main pack started the swim. There was plenty of sea weed floating around that would occasionally get stuck in my goggles. I kept swimming my own pace, and feeling good after the first lap. So I started to push slightly hard in the second lap. There was some pole in the middle of the course, and I collided head on with it. It was marked with a buoy, but I wasn't looking ahead – watch out for it!

I came out of the swim feeling good, and was quick in the transition. I started the bike leg overtaking heaps of people. I knew it was going to be a long ride, but I was feeling good, and kept that pace. First lap was a breeze and the crowd at Mathew Flinder Drive hill was fantastic at cheering. The cyclists were super slow up the hill and blocked the whole road. I suddenly found I had to pull brakes, but didn't lose much momentum. The second lap was slightly hard. The highlight of the race was being chased by a man dressed in green mankini like Borat up the MFD. I thought it was in response to me chasing the pro cyclists in Tour Downunder up Willunga Hill back in January. It was a great effort, a brave one!


The third lap was hard. I couldn't get enough water at the drink stations as they were giving only half filled small biddons. I could carry only one on my bike, which won't last until the next drink station. After 150km, I was feeling back pain. I changed the riding position from aero to the bull horn bars. From my past experiences in half Ironman, I found that I can't engage core muscles during running if I break my back during the cycling leg. The wind picked up, on the third lap, and I was going really slow, sitting upright instead of in aero poistion. I could have gone faster, but wanted to save myself for the marathon. My chain came off twice during the third lap.


After finishing the bike leg, a volunteer took away my bike. I didn't know it works like that, and I forgot to take off my Garmin 310xt off the bike, and had to ask a volunteer to bring it to me. The volunteers were great and brought it back as I was about to finish the transition. I had a quick transition and was off running at a good rhythm, feeling pretty fresh. I went 11km in the first hour. After 14k, I started to feel that cramps are building up in my calves. I ate vegemite and swollowed it down with water at the next drink station. It didn't help much. By 18km, my speed had really dropped. By 28km, my legs seized. It felt like if I continue running now, the muscles will pop out of my calves, and I wouldn't be able to even walk, and the finish would be impossible. So, I started walking. I walked for 7-8 km, then tried

to run. In first attempt I failed. Then I tried again. The body says “lye down on the side of the road.” Starting to run again is the hardest thing I felt in the Ironman. It was purely mental. I started to run, but every step was hurting. I could feel my toes are hurting due to pressure against the tip of the shoe, but just like everyone else out there on the course, you suck it up princess. Later I had a black toe nail which fell off after two months. During all this suffering, the spectators kept cheering me, and that's what kept me going.


When I reached the finish chute, it was the moment of joy. I knew I have made it. The uncertainty about whether I can do it was gone, replaced by the happiness. The joy went through the roof. I opened my arms wide to embrace the majestic environment. Then I started dancing with happiness. I was full of joy, and danced crazy hard despite the calves cramping really bad on every move of the leg. Pain didn't matter anymore. Peter Murray was the announcer at the finish line. He gave me a “hi five” and said the big words “Gi Singh, you are an IRONMAN!” I danced mad at the finish line, and Peter called me back to dance again in front of the spectators. It was an honour. I kept dancing with joy until another finisher – Chris, picked me up and took me away from there. The spectators loved it. I loved it. It was an epic moment, that will remain fresh in my memory for a long long time.


I had so much fun that I can say it was without the doubt the best day ever. I loved the crowd at Port Macquarie. I have to go back next year and race it again. I can't wait for that long. So I will be competing in two more Ironman races before Ironman Australia in May 2011.

Check out the dance at 3:00min mark in this video:

2 comments:

  1. Great report G
    When are you defecting to Concord Tri Club ?


    Stretch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome dance there! Cheers dude.. and goodluck

    ReplyDelete